Add this to my list of why hockey players are awesome:
Shane O'Brien gets three days off (actually only 2 because he has to fly by on Christmas day back to Van) to celebrate Christmas with his family in Port Hope, ON. So he flies out to Toronto after the Nashville game on a red-eye flight arriving at 7am and he comes bearing a gift: a team signed Canucks jersey. So with his family, he heads to the Hamilton Twp. municipal offices where he donates the jersey for a fundraising raffle that will benefit the Vincent Massey Memorial Arena and Hall renovation and addition.
Stories like this where a player takes time out of short time off with his family to do something for the community he grew up in, makes me think hockey players are awesome.
Full story here.
You gotta be pretty confident with your body type before you don a suit of spandex such as a the ones these guys did, but the best part about the Kesler v. Weber fight had to be the green men beside the penalty box.no comments
Shane O'Brien had his 1st regular season goal last night against the St. Louis Blues. He looked like the best defensemen on the Canucks team. He hasn't had a single minor penalty in 10 games. Just sayin'.
Now that you're getting good, and Bieksa has taken your spot in the doghouse, MG will probably trade you, but let's give you some love while you're still here.
Woo! YOU SCORED YOUR FIRST REGULAR SEASON GOAL AS A CANUCK!!! Woo!
So when I was talking about one of those games that is a "should win game", tonight's game against the St. Louis Blues is one of those nights. The Blues are having trouble scoring and have just lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Yes they really did lose to the Bolts. So tonight should be one of those games where Vancouver should be able to handle the Blues easily.
Before heading into tonight's game, the Blues, whose record is 14-14-5 are sitting at the bottom of the Western conference.With a win tonight (and a loss of Detroit to Chicago) the Canucks 20-15-0 could jump into 8th spot in the West. So will the Canucks be able to get the win tonight? Or will the Canucks be their own worst enemies?
- Tonight is fan appreciation night at GM Place, also known as Jerseys Off Our Backs night
- Michael Grabner has been assigned to the Moose yesterday. He'll need a little time for conditioning to get himself back in to game shape before returning to the NHL
- Demitra has returned home to Slovakia to meet with a specialist that he has used previously. The Canucks claim this does not mean there was a setback in his recovery
- The Canucks have announced that two formers Canucks have been added to the Hockey Operations staff. Dave Babych as Player Developement Consultant and Glen Hanlon as Goaltending Scout
After Friday nights 3-2 win over the Washington Capitals, I have a few thoughts:
- Why is it we can win big games against the best teams in the East, like the Capitals or the Devils, but lose to the worst team in same conference like the Carolina Hurricanes? Or lose to the worst team in the West, the Anaheim Ducks? (twice alredy to the Ducks)
- Along the same lines, we can win against the best in the East, but when it comes to the best in West, the Canucks can't rise up to muster a win over the Sharks? Or the Wings?
- Teams that the Canucks play that should be 'easy wins' are never that. The Canucks will always find a way to lose them
Thoughts from the game:
- Ovechkin playing live is all that it's cracked up to be. To the Canucks' credit, they kept him restricted to only 3 shots on goal and he ended up being a -1 on the night, but man does Ovie ever have a ton of energy. He was a threat and Friday night clearly wasn't even his best game, compared to other games I've watched he was quiet that night. Neverless, every time he had the puck, I was scared.
- Great defensive shutdown by Salo and Mitchell on Ovechkin and Backstrom
- Semin was everywhere on the ice. He had 1 goal, 7 shots, a great shorthanded chance and a penalty shot.
- Luongo got caught watching Tanner Glass put Brooks Laich into the Canuck bench and ended up giving up a goal
- The first 3 goals of the night were all scored by Capitals, but the score was 2-1 Caps
- Who is Chris Clark? Why is he their captain? And why would a captain only skate for 8:31 during the night? Kyle Wellwood was on the ice for longer than the Washington captain
- The first two periods were quiet and filled with tight checking by the Canucks, but the excitement of the 3rd period was well worth the ticket of admission
- Mason Raymond's 1st goal showed such patience and skill
- Raymon has 14 goals so far this season, last year he only had 11 goals all season
- Raymond is on pace for 32.8 goals this season
- Shane O'Brien may have played his best game of the year. Even though he ended up -1 on the night, he had 18:29 on the night and played a good game.
- O'Brien has gone 9 games without a minor penalty
"He arrived at GM Place wearing a Cookie Monster T-shirt"
Photo from The Globe and Mail
Check out Matt Sekeres' article that appeared today in The Globe and Mail about Ovechkin's appearence at The Bay yesterday. He went to sign autographs to help promote the Olympics at The Bay downtown for 2 hours.